Monday, January 18, 2016

Adelaide - enter deaf life

I have recently went on the trip to Adelaide during January 2016. It is a city, within the state of South Australia that I have never been before. Why I went to Adelaide? I wanted to reconnect with the world of deaf and hard of hearing people. I grew up through schooling years with deaf people. I lost contact with them shortly after high school and first years of university. So I reconsidered myself to bring my world back to them.

I have found myself in a more comfortable environment in terms of communication. The years of consistent verbal communication and listening skills with the hearing people has been challenging. One or very few of my friends does sign language. I do not hang out with them as often. Though my attendance to Adelaide is to represent the Queensland's deaf team for the Australian Deaf Games 2016.

My experience of getting into Adelaide and beyond is different compared to visiting other cities and destinations around Australia. The city is smaller than Brisbane and others I been to. Wide streets with very little traffic. It has tinder dry heat climate. My face and lips were crumpling after 24hours I got there. Personally I have experienced dry heat before in Townsville but nothing like Adelaide because of the consistency. Adelaide itself does not have similar demand of tourism to the east coast of Australia. Thus the nightlife thrives. Every morning after 7am I see a group of people walking down the street after the clubbing. Especially on Monday morning! This made me wonder of 'boredom' in a city, especially being so far away from other popular places.

Reconnecting myself with the deaf people is my highlight on this 10 day experience at the games. On the first night I met the deaf Fijian people. That was wonderful moment! I came in surprise of meeting hundreds of new people specially from other states and the Pacific Islands. I was able to communicate in Auslan effectively and consistently, since the times I was speaking and listening to all of my hearing friends in Brisbane. This reminds me of my counseling sessions of making friends within several groups. Now I have two major communicating components. Speak verbally and sign language.

The event and my experience in Adelaide has inspired me to develop further in my career. My life goals has not changed but have additional aims and objectives to make myself proactive and enjoyable. With very little awareness and support for the people with hearing loss has astounded my support. I have new goal to help and inspire hearing people that people with hearing loss also have talents, opportunities and goals. The deaf community is very diverse compared the culturally diverse countries.

The conclusion of the event has brought my sporting proaction and continually develop personal life goals and skills within diverse people. I was so glad I bought my tickets to Adelaide at the very last minute, otherwise I would not be positive today as gained these experiences in past week.

No comments:

Post a Comment