Saturday, April 11, 2015

Aspies may be normal after all

This has been a admiring topic over past few days for me when I come cross to social development issues in debate with technology development. As the world we know it is becoming more dependent on technology, the development appears as an unit of influence towards the mainstream society where people learn the non social side of it. Aspies have social skills and relationship issues which is normal in general. But what about able bodied people have same issues, under influence of technology use such as watching too much television, mobile phones, addiction on alcohol, drugs, online social media and so on? Are able bodied people getting some signs of ASD, ADHD and other sort of mental illness as well as Aspies experiencing?

Sending out disability awareness has been on the rise since the introduction of unnecessary technology, I can see the trend of increasing awareness organisations for all disability matters, women and young children, sexuality and globalisation issues just as much people are experiencing problems whose does not respect the minorities.

I can call myself as a minority like other Aspies to the mainstream society because able bodied people see us as independent and 'outliers' due to the challenges. From my perspective, I believe able bodied people is having some signs of mental health issues by applying disregard of disability awareness acknowledgements, denying on facts and stereotypical attitudes. I feel so bad when come to these situations which I experienced every single day in my life. I am getting used to this because I understand why they do it to me. I am not saying that able bodied people have more serious problems than me and other Aspies.

My point is that the way that able bodied people are not respecting nor accepting Aspies to be part of the society. I observed that they:
  • are not listening to our feelings 
  • does not want to understand
  • nor want to know about it
These three factors highlights huge problem when come to social situations. From what I have learnt from my experience, if people does any of those three factors, I will know it won't be my problem. I discussed about this with my fellow Aspie friends today and they have agreed it is something to do with able bodied people are not giving some of us chances to blend in. I understand we have emotion and sensory issues, but only Aspies in the world are not experiencing the same problems.

In my observation from the able bodied people, they told me that:
  • can't be bothered acknowledging it
  • cannot be understood
  • doesn't know the awareness
  • taking little issues becomes a big problem
So, I have to leave up to the able bodied people to accept us Aspies or not. Must remember that majority of us would want to enjoy life and experiences in terms of friendships, relationships, employment and entertainment. We are capable in a same way as everyone else. My best advice for everyone including Aspies is to stop relying on technology to structure people's thoughts and experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment