Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Social media - friend or foe?

For last decade or so, Information Technology has been rapidly developed and become futuristic (for those imaginations from 1950's!). Firstly, I joined Myspace. That didn't worked out, because someone has copied all information and posts from the page, then created another account pretending to me. Ah, that was my first cyber bully of my life. Suddenly I deleted Myspace.

Next, Facebook started to become popular. Although, for first few years of Facebook's presence in the society I didn't want to sign up because I have fears of similar outcomes from what happened to Myspace. Until then I went to University for first time away from home, my family convinced me to sign up Facebook since it is easier to communicate. Then I did. That was at end of 2008, on the days I graduated high school.

So now it has been about 5 and half years I been using Facebook, as an almost every day lifestyle of communicating with people. Humanity seemed so sure it is a best method to communicate within others!? Over these years I experienced dramas, meltdown and further cyber bullies. After those continuance of attacks, I had a thought of deleting my account a few times. But, what made me to keep it? The world seem so dependent on Facebook, as a main method to communicate with people especially for those who are away from your hometown or being overseas.

During last couple of years, I learned that Facebook is being a such as greedy marketing tool for businesses and for rich people to make money rather than pursuasion in form of communication and sharing experiences. Notwithstanding, the efforts of people using Facebook on their hands (smartphones etc) and asking random person from the public whose met for first time to be added as their friend online. I got so curious what is this all about? Are we making friends? Are we helping people? Or we making a new form of main communication source to become digital?

This made me miss the old days of texting and calling via mobile phones, playing outside with people, go to meetings in person, and a face to face forums (community organisations etc). As being an Aspie (not sure how other Aspies feel in a same way), I believe that I am not learning important social cues and developing language skills. These days, it is seem so hard for me to get out and meet people and make new friends and relationships because everyone seem so dependent on Facebook, and/or other online source. ASD hasn't made a medical breakthrough not long before internet came, and other society influence of change.

How I feel I have about 400 friends online? I don't have a comment on this, but I know that not everyone is a true friend to me. I find this 'number' is disrespectful. I have several friends who are my family. I only have one true mate (from the outside world) being friends online. This whole 'being friends with others online' doesn't make me feel comfortable because I have absolutely no chance of making new friends in the outside world, and opportunities to hang out with people. I had more successes of doing that by face to face and via text messaging.

I believe this IT and rise of social media is damaging my life and other Aspies around the world. Facebook, for instance, as being a major social tool for the world it is causing harm. I don't know how I survive the world if Facebook make a bigger deal for everyone. Several times I am having so much difficulties making friends and develop a relationship with people, why this so? Because online social tool is making me to miss so many important social and relationship skills! I require so much effective counselling and therapies to catch up with able bodied people. Its so expensive. Facebook does seem stealing my money for taking lessons! Criminal of the century?!

So, social media is a friend or foe? ABSOLUTELY NOT A FRIEND! Sorry for yelling. I just trying to find ways how people to get me to be heard of. I have told to many people for many times saying how disastrous the society change we heading towards. Digital form of communication for Aspies is peer pressuring and blocking the person's ability to be capable and be understanding the differences in diversity.

The world lacks of understanding towards Aspies because the eruption of online communication influences abilities. I say, do I need to be your true friend before Facebook or just add me because of my name and never talk to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment