Sunday, August 31, 2014

Am I hungry for a change?

Coincidently humans eat food everyday due to metabolism process. I.e. we are always hungry! Although, to this question am I hungry for a change? The answer is YES! Why? I spent about 18 years living in same place. I have lived in Northern Rivers since mid 1990's. I was raised here after I was born in Brisbane. I graduated high school at end of 2008 before going to University for four years (one year at UNE - Armidale and three years at JCU Townsville). After I arrived back from the US working holiday program for eight months, I am back in reality.

I done everything that I tried to make a change for my life. Now it has been over a year - in addition of 18 years of living life in Northern Rivers, I have tried so extremely hard finding jobs relating to my university qualifications and passion. I also tried so hard making new friends and joining groups of my interest. Socioeconomically, the region I live in is quite low compared to other parts of the country. Since John Howard came in power, our region suffer major economic decline. There were a lot of factors contributing this such as scaring young people away because there are not enough employment and educational opportunities for them. Community and governmental support services on the brink in reductions. I.e. lack of it!

Over last three months I started to feel effects of this socioeconomic climate, and also I started to understand why so many people around my age left. This made me feel so hungry for a change in my life. I thought my life did changed after I completed my Bachelor's degree at Townsville, and my travels in the US. Reality is a massive karma to me. This makes me feel so worthless, wasteful, depressing and stressing. I feel so terrible. I spend so many days, weeks and months imaginating my thoughts of how positive my life would be; thinking what I want to do and who I want to be!

Young people with disabilities in Australia experiences same thing. Lack of community services and support in regional areas put in place of extreme case scenarios of poverty and effects of poor attitudes from their own people. This is a worrying concern. I am very thankful for myself to realise that I am in this situation and wanted to make a BIG change. Not just that I thought I had changed my life after University and the US trip. Of course NOT. It about a move!

Past weeks I have decided to follow the way by moving back to Brisbane and experience a new change. Of course, a thriving city would be benefical for my expectations. There are a lot of questions on this. Am I getting an employment opportunity whilst studying/graduating at the University this time? Am I getting new 'proper' friends? (I will never ever forget I have my mate back home at this point!).

Is Australian government controlling communities economically and mentally over people with disabilities and young people in regional areas? It does seem so. I am one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment